Guest writer, In5D.com
Sometimes life can be so challenging that all we can think to do is call up ‘Dr. Everything’ll Be Alright’. Just give us a pill or a magic potion to make the pain, or sadness, or frustration go away…now, please! When we are in such inner turmoil we may not realize how much control we have over our thoughts and feelings, so we hide under the covers or complain to everyone that we know about how tough our life is. However, there is something that every person on this planet can do to help themselves get through life’s challenges, and that is to strive to achieve Inner Peace.
Inner Peace (or peace of mind) is an inner state of calm that allows us to mentally and spiritually feel at ease with our life. It imparts us with the knowledge and understanding we need to be able to stay strong during times of distress. It’s our best weapon against feeling helpless or out of control about how our life is moving along. Doesn’t that sound amazing? It is, and you too can achieve Inner Peace by practicing one or more of the following:
- Self-acceptance – Sometimes the easiest thing to do is stop beating ourselves up and just accept who we are and the situation we are in. I don’t mean acceptance as a form of giving up and not working to escape our current negative circumstances; I mean acceptance in a ‘be here now’ way. When you can accept who you are as a human being, without judgment, any feelings of guilt or helplessness will fade away. Take an honest look at yourself and if you don’t like something about you, then you can begin to make changes from a place of self-acceptance rather than from a place of fear.
- Trust – A sense of Inner Peace can be felt when we learn to trust. Trust in Spirit. Trust in the Universe. Trust in ourselves. When we learn to trust that Life is bringing us exactly the experience we need to get the lesson we wanted to experience at this time, then there really is no choice but to let go of struggle and trust that we can handle what we are being dealt. When you trust you can allow a sense of Inner Peace to sweep through you, immediately feeling your body relax and your breathing slow to normal. You will feel calm even though everything around you may look like it’s crumbling to pieces.
- Forgiveness – Letting go of the past and forgiving yourself and others is a solid step toward achieving Inner Peace. You can’t truly be in the present if you’re still holding onto the past. Try to see past your own mistakes and the loveless behavior of others. Be willing to see a past hurtful situation differently so that you can transform your hurt and angry feelings, instead of ignoring them and letting them leave you unsettled inside.
- Know Love – If you know that you are loved by God/Creator/Source then you will always have Inner Peace. A Course In Miracles says that ‘Only love is real’, therefore anything else is not. Any feelings of unworthiness and inner struggle aren’t real and can be let go of when you know that you are loved. Being loved and giving love are peaceful emotions that emanate throughout our whole body. We’ve all seen a newly married couple, or first time parents who exude happiness from every pore in their body. They are filled with such Inner Peace because of the love that they feel coming to them and going out to the one they love. Love truly can perform miracles.
- Relieve Stress – We can’t feel Inner Peace if we are feeling stressed out. Stress will not let us relax or feel joy in our life because it causes us to worry. It changes our mood, interrupts our sleep patterns, and can make us physically sick. Fortunately, there are many techniques that you can use all throughout your day to let go of stress as it begins to build. Meditation, chanting and deep breathing are simple ways to relieve stress and can be done almost anywhere. They stop stress in its track and allow you to re-center and ground yourself.
- Peaceful Affirmations – Affirmations are a wonderful way to help you achieve Inner Peace. Repeating to yourself positive comments such as, ‘Peace embraces me today’ or ‘I choose to remain calm today no matter what’, will reinforce your intention to live a peaceful life. Our thoughts are powerful, so choosing positive and peaceful thoughts are essential to creating the life we want.
- Gratitude – This is probably the easiest and most impactful thing we can do to achieve Inner Peace. When we focus on the things in life that are good and positive, we can’t help but feel grateful for them. Gratitude helps us forget about what we are experiencing in our life that isn’t so great. You could have had the absolute worst day at work, but then you come home to your child and they are smiling and happy to see you, and all of those bad memories from work just melt away. You realize what’s important is this loving little being that you were blessed with; not the jerk that yelled at you because he didn’t like something you did at work. Gratitude welcomes Inner Peace with open arms.
There is a wonderful quote that says, “Peace of mind is not the absence of conflict from life, but the ability to cope with it.” It’s not always easy to feel peaceful when your life is falling apart, or just not going the way you thought it should be by now. Inner Peace really is a choice. You can choose to not let the conflict in your life shut you down to love, and self-acceptance, and gratitude. Choose to trust. Choose to let go of stress. Choose forgiveness. Choose to believe that everything will be alright.